I really don't like hater blog posts, but this one feels necessary and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way about February 14. Because, let's face it, Valentine's Day is the oversharing couple of holidays and someone should do something about it ASAP. That's why I've put together 7 reasons not to celebrate it:
1. It's National Single Awareness Day - No matter how happy you are as a single person, Cupid's holiday will get you "love drunk" (the bad kind) and the only way to kind of prevent this is by staying the hell inside your home.
2. It's so not about friendship - We all know the only time Valentine's Day is about friendship is when someone gets friendzoned.
3. It puts too much pressure on couples! - I've been in a relationship for 3 and a half years and we only celebrated Valentine's Day our first year. It seriously felt like we were looking for the perfect birthday or anniversary gift which is a complete waste of money and energy.
4. Unnecessary calories ingestion - You know that chocolate brand that nobody likes but everybody ends up eating? 'Nough said.
5. It's the worst for awkward kids in school - Remember when the only people who gave you something on Valentine's Day were your mom and if you were really lucky, your best friend? Well, I do. I felt super left out and like I was the only kid in school without someone crushing on me. The feminist that lives inside me cringes over this memory every single time.
6. We have enough holidays already - Isn't it enough with the shopping craziness of Black Friday, Christmas, Easter, 4th of July, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Grandparents Day and whatever the hell the media decides to invent these days? Life would be so much easier if we just bought gifts just because we wanted to, not because every single ad campaign in the country is telling us to do so.
7. Drugstores get annoying AF - If the reason behind having every single Cupid shaped balloon and heart shaped chocolate boxes displayed all over the store is to boost sales, they get exactly the opposite from me. In fact, Valentine's Day season is the only time were I go to a drugstore and get exactly what I need and run the hell out of there, which is actually pretty impressive for me. So I guess glass half full?
As a bonus I had to include this song from the beach scene in Princess Diaries because I had it in my head the whole time while writing this post. Isn't it the epitome of the 2000's? #GOLD
So glad I got this out of my system and put it live on the internet!! What do you guys think? Do you agree with me or are you a Valentine's Day Lover? Don't worry, I won't judge you... too much. Ha! ;)